JUDE HARZER FINE ART

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”~ Paul Coelho

A young and vital child knows no limit to his own will, and it is the only reality to him. It is not that he wants at the outset to fight other wills, but that they simply do not exist for him. Like the artist, he goes forth to the work of creation, gloriously alone.
Jane Harrison

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator
My art is a reflection of my effort to recognize and embrace the beauty in the world around me, even when it seems most difficult to find. Contact me at judiharz@aol.com or visit my website at http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

Visit My Website

http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

"Most of us have two lives- the life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance."Steven Pressfield

"The greatest freedoms are freedom from regret, freedom from fear, freedom from anxiety, and freedom from sorrow."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Painting :Enjoying the Process

Besides an abundance of ideas regarding subject matter, I actually am interested in my technique and palette. In an effort to paint more fluidly, I am working on 1' x 1' gessoed cardboard and have limited my palette to Prussian blue, titanium white, burnt sienna and dark cadmium red. It is amazing the range that can be achieved in value and hue.

This idea was prompted by receiving an image from friend and fellow artist, Andrew Werth, who created a beautiful and "quiet" painting of his wife Karen. He told me that he was influenced by Edward Hopper and I really studied the stillness that he suggested in this work. I also was advised this summer at the school of Visual Arts in NYC to look at some figurative work by other artists such as Lucien Freud and John Currin, in particular.John was a fellow classmate at Carnegie Mellon in 1981-1982. I recall his skill. It served him well. He is among the top 100 artists in the world:) I won't comment on his subject matter. You can check it out for yourself... but his talent is undeniable.It does help once in awhile, to step outside of yourself, to escape your own thoughts in an effort to learn and develop further. Looking to those who have achieved great success, can be very instructive and inspiring.

So today I painted and am still painting and making progress. It has flowed freely without any intention of creating a finished piece. These are the days that I am reminded of how much I love the smell, feel and process of working with oils. It is the ultimate form of meditation.

"I intend to paint myself to death." L.Freud "  Painting til death ,sounds like a beautiful demise. J.Vereb
Hooray for snow days:) Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! I think we might have another snow day tomorrow. 2 consecutive days of painting ! My words cannot adequately convey my rapture. I might cry:) Just joshin.' Hey Pork Chop,.... if you're out there, this geeky artist girl is about to make magic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jude, Art and Inspiration