JUDE HARZER FINE ART

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”~ Paul Coelho

A young and vital child knows no limit to his own will, and it is the only reality to him. It is not that he wants at the outset to fight other wills, but that they simply do not exist for him. Like the artist, he goes forth to the work of creation, gloriously alone.
Jane Harrison

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator
My art is a reflection of my effort to recognize and embrace the beauty in the world around me, even when it seems most difficult to find. Contact me at judiharz@aol.com or visit my website at http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

Visit My Website

http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

"Most of us have two lives- the life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance."Steven Pressfield

"The greatest freedoms are freedom from regret, freedom from fear, freedom from anxiety, and freedom from sorrow."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Awaken Poppy So That You May "See!"

Have patience with me! It seems as though my art is as erratic and varied as my thoughts and emotions these days. I decided to try my hand at illustration as opposed to creating my "fine art", whatever that means....does it matter? I don't think most people that I know can be defined by a single endeavor ...a sole purpose or profession? Today I was inspired to create an illustration for a children's book. I have had ideas and have actually written ,but not completed, several book concepts. Ah, my usual pattern of behaviour...the incomplete, the unfinished, the rough sketch. If I resolve one of these ideas, I am confident it will move me forward. I am committed to the process . I realize that it is the work that will guide me. My thoughts are abundant but I've decided to attempt to give "life" to even a few...to share them....despite how they may be received.

So I'll introduce you to Pouting Poppy:)   Okay, in all honesty,until today she simply lived in my imagination , actually she didn't exist until I put brush to paper. This is my first attempt at developing her character. A good solid days effort. I like her:) She will undoubtedly evolve... Remember the painting that I scrapped after 30 hours of effort? Well, I tore the gessoed paper in half, rotated it, sanded it, applied an additional ground and voila! Poppy appeared:) I know, crazy huh? I tell my students that artists use their errors...they conceal and alter them...and sometimes they themselves are pleasantly surprised by what results. I know, I know.... one day Lucien Freud for inspiration and the next Stian Hole:)

So here is some "rough" accompanying text for for my new friend. I can imagine my own kids cringing at this moment ,whispering to themselves that Jubraseph has finally gone off the deep end. Actually, I feel as though I am awakening from a deep sleep and seeing myself for the first time. I am learning to appreciate the unexpected.


"Pouting Poppy" illustrations Jude Harzer
 2010 all rights reserved Jude Harzer Fine Art
"Skies of blue....blossoms red,
 Beauty unseen by a heart unfed,
 Poor pouting Poppy... loved ...she would wake,
 To a world of dreams...all hers to take...."
 "Wake Poppy, wake!"

Sheesh I gotta' wake this girl up:) To be continued....
Dave Matthews: Blackbird
And just because ya have to dance after all that painting:):
Crazy In Love

"That she was seeing with different eyes and making the acquaintance of new conditions in herself that colored and changed her environment, she did not yet suspect." Kate Chopin, The Awakening

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jude, Art and Inspiration