JUDE HARZER FINE ART

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”~ Paul Coelho

A young and vital child knows no limit to his own will, and it is the only reality to him. It is not that he wants at the outset to fight other wills, but that they simply do not exist for him. Like the artist, he goes forth to the work of creation, gloriously alone.
Jane Harrison

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator
My art is a reflection of my effort to recognize and embrace the beauty in the world around me, even when it seems most difficult to find. Contact me at judiharz@aol.com or visit my website at http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

Visit My Website

http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

"Most of us have two lives- the life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance."Steven Pressfield

"The greatest freedoms are freedom from regret, freedom from fear, freedom from anxiety, and freedom from sorrow."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Saturday, July 11, 2009

SVA Studio Sleepovers

My bed prior to the girl's arrival

My guests have arrived! My beautiful girls, Alyssa and my daughter and muse, Christina!

My first "all nighter" in the SVA artist's studios occurred, not because of my typical obsessive desire to create but because my daughter Christina and her friend, my honorary daughter, Alyssa, are visiting for the weekend and staying in my dorm room. I don't think they quite believed the limited size of the room, which can be likened to an oversized closet, or the compact bathroom in which you can(or rather must) simultaneously, shower, brush teeth, etc:)My dorm room is ideal as it serves a purpose. It is comfortable and safe despite its small size.Although not optimal for group sleepovers,it encourages focus in its simplicity. But my best option having guests, seemed to be to sleep on the floor of my studio. I actually slept very little.There were other equally obsessive and devoted students, one of which even offered me the use of her cot.Most students departed prior to 3 am. I recall lights, music, sounds from the city, before dozing close to 4.
I love this place! Art drives my colleagues, as it does myself. It is amazing to be amid people who value the same discipline. Today however, I will venture out with the girls and seek inspiration in Chinatown which I absolutely love.
Stay tuned for more art and some images from the city rather than the studio.
I also plan to share some wisdom from a lecture I attended yesterday by renowned art critic from New York Magazine, Jerry Saltz.I almost invited him for a sleepover because his wit, humor and brilliance were exhiliarating and engaging. I think, however, that would have been inappropriate but I certainly would have invited his wife, an equally renowned art critic, Roberta Smith from the NY Times to join us. I think I would have felt as though I were in heaven if I could have fallen asleep listening to the two of them exchange ideas, opinions and stories.
I know, I know, my kids think I am a geek as well.
Make your day magical, wherever you be:)

1 comment:

  1. It all sounds wildly fascinating! Something I'd definitely do if I could. I'm confident that you will be soaring as a result of your stay! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Jude, Art and Inspiration