JUDE HARZER FINE ART

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”~ Paul Coelho

A young and vital child knows no limit to his own will, and it is the only reality to him. It is not that he wants at the outset to fight other wills, but that they simply do not exist for him. Like the artist, he goes forth to the work of creation, gloriously alone.
Jane Harrison

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator
My art is a reflection of my effort to recognize and embrace the beauty in the world around me, even when it seems most difficult to find. Contact me at judiharz@aol.com or visit my website at http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

Visit My Website

http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

"Most of us have two lives- the life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance."Steven Pressfield

"The greatest freedoms are freedom from regret, freedom from fear, freedom from anxiety, and freedom from sorrow."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Commission Completed: Giving Life to Another's Vision

I just finished my very first official oil portrait commission. Had some one asked me several years ago when I first rediscovered my art, to paint a large scale portrait of NOT one child, but of four, I would have immediately declined. Most likely it would have been due to fear of not being able to capture the "vision" of the client,the pressure of creating four reasonable "likenesses" and the belief that I would leave them disappointed and myself frustrated and feeling more incompetent.

Funny how time,attitude and confidence, alter both the creation process and the end result. This opportunity was perfect.It felt natural. I was given direction, yet freedom. My client, Dr. Robberson, had a clear vision of how to best represent her children on canvas. I liked that she was specific about details such as color, expression, symbolic elements and medium.It was to be rich in color and "storybook" like in content. Her confidence in my work, gave me "freedom" to simply do what it is I do, to the best of my ability.

Tonight she approved the final version. Her response was a gift. She explained that the heart and soul of a child, is revealed within their eyes. She expressed that each of the portraits successfully captured the joy and life of her children and she described how she felt, upon observation, as though they were looking at her, confirming to her personally that they are happy in their childhoods, at this moment. I was overwhelmed with both relief and encouragement in knowing that I am finally doing what it is I am supposed to do: paint, create and capture memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Jude, Art and Inspiration