JUDE HARZER FINE ART

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”~ Paul Coelho

A young and vital child knows no limit to his own will, and it is the only reality to him. It is not that he wants at the outset to fight other wills, but that they simply do not exist for him. Like the artist, he goes forth to the work of creation, gloriously alone.
Jane Harrison

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator
My art is a reflection of my effort to recognize and embrace the beauty in the world around me, even when it seems most difficult to find. Contact me at judiharz@aol.com or visit my website at http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

Visit My Website

http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

"Most of us have two lives- the life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance."Steven Pressfield

"The greatest freedoms are freedom from regret, freedom from fear, freedom from anxiety, and freedom from sorrow."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Embracing Discomfort


Now that I have started painting again,post MRI and EMG,I am at a loss for what to paint. I have an abundance of ideas, big ideas, but I am surrounded by many half heartedly painted, incomplete canvasses begging for time and attention. I can only "rest" for so long and so to clear my thoughts,I have decided to do a few quick oil sketches of my favorite subject matter: children. It is meditative and therapeutic.
As I painted tonight however, I realized more than ever before, that it is time to move forward.I feel confident enough to really paint and take risks with my work.I have relied on "safe" for too long. My paintings have been tentative and tame. It no longer feels authentic to work with such hesitation and fear because it certainly doesn't reflect how I think and feel.
This upcoming summer will be devoted to experimentation in my work.For the "moment", I will enjoy the intimacy and comfort of creating the "familiar." Within the next few weeks I will be learning the encaustic process. Perhaps my "Dream" paintings will appear genuinely "dreamy." It is exciting to no longer feel afraid and it is amusing to wonder why I ever was:)After all, it is painting... not life saving surgery!But oh what a privilege to be able to do this! I envision works of wood,wire and wax. Yes....very dreamy.
I do love that I posted this work because I can easily see areas in need of revision but I especially like her expression...hmmm...bored maybe:)I think she needs a few layers of Vermeer like glazes. The fun is in the process. It's time to have some real fun!

“A dream is your creative vision for your life in the future. You must break out of your current comfort zone and become comfortable with the unfamiliar and the unknown.”
Denis Waitley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jude, Art and Inspiration