JUDE HARZER FINE ART

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”~ Paul Coelho

A young and vital child knows no limit to his own will, and it is the only reality to him. It is not that he wants at the outset to fight other wills, but that they simply do not exist for him. Like the artist, he goes forth to the work of creation, gloriously alone.
Jane Harrison

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator
My art is a reflection of my effort to recognize and embrace the beauty in the world around me, even when it seems most difficult to find. Contact me at judiharz@aol.com or visit my website at http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

Visit My Website

http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

"Most of us have two lives- the life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance."Steven Pressfield

"The greatest freedoms are freedom from regret, freedom from fear, freedom from anxiety, and freedom from sorrow."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Friday, September 11, 2009

Please Don't Lick The Art

I read an article which made me smile and reminded me why I love teaching at the Kindergarten level.

Did you ever read a label and wonder why it includes seemingly ridiculous warning information? For example, there are actual warnings that direct consumers to " NOT use a microwave for drying pets" or cautions users of irons to "NEVER iron clothes while on body." Sadly, I have tried to dry and salvage a wet vintage magazine in a microwave which melted all of the adhesive binding creating a mess and I have also ironed clothes while wearing them and burned my neck and stomach at various times.Unfortunately, I fully comprehend the need for such admonitions. I really did think that these actions seemed reasonable to attempt at the time. Yikes! Trust me, I have successfully and safely reared two nearly grown children and taught nearly 7,000 students without harm:)

When I introduce an art lesson and new materials, I must explain to my young artists the DO'S and DON'T's of using various media as I am very familiar with the behaviour of my "target audience." DON'T put crayons in your mouth,nose or ears.DON'T cut your hair, clothes or your neighbor's artwork with the scissors. DON'T paint the walls, furniture or floors at home unless a grown up gives you permission!DO dress for mess in the art studio and DO wipe your hands on a smock, NOT on your friend's new white tee as they are standing in line in front of you. This happened...TRUE STORY with supposedly washable kid-friendly paint. The parent that called informed me otherwise:( This is typical and necessary instruction when teaching a little one, knowing that they naturally want to experiment and explore.

Well during these first few days, I had the pleasure of meeting this beautiful,and evidently smart little girl.She was enthusiastic about being in the art studio, but her attention seemed easily diverted by her new surroundings and friends.We used modeling clay to encourage fine motor development and play. My instructions did include the direction:" DO NOT throw or eat the clay." Very simple! But alas, there are the irrepressibly curious like my lovely little friend who proceeded to lick clay, lick her arm and collect spit in her name tag. When I instructed her to refrain from such behaviour she simply smiled, stopped and gave me a hug. She was just checking things out, using her sense of taste:) When I read the article about the child who licked a master painting in a museum gallery, I thought of my Kindergarten artists who excitedly enjoy and explore with every fiber of their being, even by using their tongues! Awesome! Kudos to the Minneapolis Institute of Art for their understanding and sense of humor in response to the situation!
‘Please Don’t Lick the Art’: Words to Live ByBy Dave Itzkoff

Minneapolis Institute of Arts

Appreciating this portrait by the French painter Nicolas de Largillière is apparently a matter of taste.The Minneapolis Institute of Arts has a new piece of merchandise to offer at its gift shop — not to mention an endearing anecdote that inspired it — following a young art fan’s recent visit to the museum, The Star Tribune reported. On a recent survey of the museum’s Gallery 308, Tim Piowtrowski, a guard there, noticed a little girl who was admiring a 17th-century portrait of the French aristocrat Catherine Coustard, the Marquise of Castelnau, with her son, Léonor, by the French painter Nicolas de Largillière. The young aficionado, whose age was not given, was so taken by the deep blue velvet dress worn by the Marquise in the painting that Mr. Piowtrowski had to admonish her: “Please don’t lick the art,” he said. That phrase now adorns a T-shirt on sale at the museum for $22.50. The painting was unharmed, according to The Star Tribune.
Please Don't Lick The Art
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/04/please-dont-lick-the-art-words-to-live-by/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jude, Art and Inspiration