JUDE HARZER FINE ART

When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.”~ Paul Coelho

A young and vital child knows no limit to his own will, and it is the only reality to him. It is not that he wants at the outset to fight other wills, but that they simply do not exist for him. Like the artist, he goes forth to the work of creation, gloriously alone.
Jane Harrison

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator

Jude Harzer Artist/Art Educator
My art is a reflection of my effort to recognize and embrace the beauty in the world around me, even when it seems most difficult to find. Contact me at judiharz@aol.com or visit my website at http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

Visit My Website

http://www.judeharzerfineart.com

"Most of us have two lives- the life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands resistance."Steven Pressfield

"The greatest freedoms are freedom from regret, freedom from fear, freedom from anxiety, and freedom from sorrow."
Thich Nhat Hanh

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Herb Olds and Leonard DeLonga: Artists and Master Art Educators


A friend from Carnegie Mellon, where I attended college in 1981,brought to my attention the work and whereabouts of our drawing professor Herb Olds. He was probably the single most influential artist who dramatically altered my thoughts and drafting skills, as a self taught,inexperienced and uneducated 17 year old.I found several images online that he created. He continues to create and shape lives in San Diego.He is in my thoughts on this day.Thank you Mr. Olds.

And on this day, I am also thinking most fondly of Leonard DeLonga, the legendary sculpture professor from Mt. Holyoke College who became very much like a father to me, and to many others,while attending there from 1983-1987. He was a gentle giant. He was large in stature as were his bronze creations. He and his art were powerful and monumental,perhaps intimidating at first glance.But he had a heart and spirit that was generous,gentle,kind and infectious. He guided me and allowed me great freedom while in his sculpture class,as he simultaneously counseled me about life.As persuasive and charasmatic as he was,he never succeeded in getting me to embrace the process of bronze casting in its entirety. Unfortunately, I was too impatient and unfocused but Mr. DeLonga recognized my ability to produce elaborately finished wax figures very quickly and charcoal drawings to accompany them, and so he encouraged me to do what I loved rather than follow his curriculum:)He teasingly called me "irreverent" as did another sculptor I met in recent years! I always thought that was ironic and funny because I tend to be such a rule follower.
Sadly, he passed away in 1991, a year after my daughter was born. He too is always in my heart and in my thoughts. I think he would laugh, because I have been sculpting a bit lately,(not in wax and never to cast) but he would know my true passion is for my drawing and painting.He might also be surprised that I abandoned all of it for 20 years but sincerely satisfied that I rediscovered and finally embraced it again:)
Reflecting on those who influenced my art and my life, many whom perhaps never knew, makes me particularly grateful at this moment.
So Mr. Olds and Mr.DeLonga, thank you and thank you M.H.for reminding me.

Jude, Art and Inspiration